365 Inspirational Quotes for 2022 | Inc.com - Inc.

This year's list includes some great ones: inspiring, poignant, thought-provoking, and just-plain-amusing quotes.

Whether you read this year's entire list at once (as some readers have told me they do), or else refer back to this page over the next 12 months and beyond, I hope you'll find some energizing and uplifting quotes among them. 

Saturday, January 1, 2022

"If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. If an elephant has its foot on the tail of a mouse and you say that you are neutral, the mouse will not appreciate your neutrality."
--Desmond Tutu

Sunday, January 2, 2022

"You are in danger of living a life so comfortable and soft that you will die without ever realizing your true potential."
--David Goggins

Monday, January 3, 2022

"I'm behind on bills, all because the pay team messed up. I'm crying as I write this email."
--Amazon employee Tara Jones, in an email to Jeff Bezos that sparked an internal investigation showing thousands had been underpaid 

Tuesday, January 4, 2022

"I'm no good at anything but comedy, which I think I'm good at. I'm absolutely no good at networking; I'm terrible at acting; I'm terrible at dealing with executives; I'm terrible at collaborating. And I say whatever I want to say. But I think I'm good enough at comedy that I can survive. And I don't really have an ambition for money."
--Norm MacDonald

Wednesday, January 5, 2022

"There's no talent here, this is hard work. This is an obsession. Talent does not exist, we are all human beings. You could be anyone if you put in the time. You will reach the top, and that's that. I am not talented, I am obsessed."
--Conor McGregor

Thursday, January 6, 2022

"Trust is hard to come by. That's why my circle is small and tight. I'm kind of funny about making new friends."
--Eminem

Friday, January 7, 2022

"You would be amazed what the ordinary guy knows."
--Matt Drudge

Saturday, January 8, 2022

"Success isn't always about greatness. It's about consistency. Consistent hard work leads to success. Greatness will come."
--Dwayne Johnson

Sunday, January 9, 2022

"The moment anyone tries to demean or degrade you in any way, you have to know how great you are. Nobody would bother to beat you down if you were not a threat."
--Cicely Tyson

Monday, January 10, 2022

"It takes courage and strength to be empathetic, and I'm very proudly an empathetic and compassionate leader. I am trying to chart a different path, and that will attract criticism, but I can only be true to myself and the form of leadership I believe in."
--Jacinda Ardern, prime minister of New Zealand

Tuesday, January 11, 2022

"I look forward to going back home, but I guess it was a nice break from everything."
--Livae Nanjikana, one of two men rescued after surviving 29 days adrift off the coast of the Solomon Islands

Wednesday, January 12, 2022

"I've grown most not from victories but from setbacks. If winning is God's reward, then losing is how he teaches us."
--Serena Williams

Thursday, January 13, 2022

"How does this advance my personal position? You need to think about that 24/7."
--Gerri, on Succession

Friday, January 14, 2022

"It's Alma Powell. She was with me the whole time. We've been married 58 years. And she put up with a lot. She took care of the kids when I was, you know, running around. And she was always there for me and she'd tell me, 'That's not a good idea.' She was usually right."
--Colin Powell, in his last published interview, when asked who was the greatest person he'd ever known

Saturday, January 15, 2022

"I care about decency and humanity and kindness. Kindness today is an act of rebellion."
--Pink

Sunday, January 16, 2022

"I would rather people take me as straightforward and not have to wonder if I'm kidding or not. Because what I have to say, and what I'm interested in doing and communicating, is worthwhile enough that I don't want to muck it up with people being confused about where I'm really coming from."
--Charles Grodin

Monday, January 17, 2022

"If you don't fall, how are you going to know what getting up is like?"
--Steph Curry

Tuesday, January 18, 2022

"It's not terribly easy. Although I think it's probably doable for almost every person out there. And it really does work. It works in business. It works in relationships, raising your kids, all that stuff. But it does take a bit of work."
--Bode Miller, skier, on his practice of thinking of intense, dangerous stories before competing, in order to raise his performance level

Wednesday, January 19, 2022

"In terms of my own life goals, it became, how do you restore the situation? How can you transform your life? What are the enabling conditions that allow people to go from being victims to being victors?"
--Walter Mischel, creator of the famous Stanford University marshmallow experiment

Thursday, January 20, 2022

"To those wondering about giving while living: Try it. You'll like it."
--Chuck Feeney, one-time multibillionaire who gave away his entire $8 billion fortune during his lifetime

Friday, January 21, 2022

"Hurt me with the truth. Don't comfort me with a lie."
--Rihanna

Saturday, January 22, 2022

"My only goal is to stay focused on my craft and make sure my life is as sharp as it can be to attack any character that is given to me."
--Michael K. Williams

Sunday, January 23, 2022

"Here's a true story, man. I learned English because of you. My grandfather who raised me...I used to sit on his lap and listen to you every day. So, it's a pretty special moment for me, man. Thank you very much."
--Burt Thakur, contestant on one of the last Jeopardy episodes hosted by Alex Trebek 

Monday, January 24, 2022

"Staving off death is a thing that you have to work at. Left to itself (and that is what it is when it dies), the body tends to revert to a state of equilibrium with its environment."
--Richard Dawkins

Tuesday, January 25, 2022

"I demand pretty aggressive goal setting and a commitment to measured progress toward those goals because I don't like surprises. I don't even like good surprises."
--Abigail Johnson, CEO of Fidelity Investments

Wednesday, January 26, 2022

"People talked to me in a way I think they would not have talked to somebody who hadn't shared the experience; they gave me their papers, they gave me their diaries. I found people constantly opening up to me. And I think they did because I had shared that experience with them."
--Neil Sheehan

Thursday, January 27, 2022

"I do! I can tell you. Last April [one day], I had a total of 19 Zoom meetings! I'm so tired of that! I do not have any back-to-back meetings anymore. I think I feel much more comfortable."
--Eric Yuan, the CEO of Zoom, on whether he ever gets Zoom fatigue

Friday, January 28, 2022

"What we do is more important than what we say or what we say we believe."
--bell hooks

Saturday, January 29, 2022

"You know what the happiest animal on earth is? It's a goldfish. You know why? It's got a 10-second memory."
--Ted Lasso

Sunday, January 30, 2022

"I felt like I wanted to be honest about the situation. Parents, and especially moms, are struggling right now. It's really hard."
--Gretchen Goldman, scientist and research director, whose honest photos of working from home went viral

Monday, January 31, 2022

"Once you really know yourself, can't nobody tell you nothing about you."
--Megan Thee Stallion

Tuesday, February 1, 2022

"You can be the most intelligent person, and you can have so much potential, but if you don't have a guide by which to channel that energy, then a lot of times, it's futile."
--LaKeith Stanfield

Wednesday, February 2, 2022

"I'm not the next Usain Bolt or Michael Phelps ... I'm the first Simone Biles."
--Simone Biles

Thursday, February 3, 2022

"Don't count the days, make the days count."
--Muhammad Ali

Friday, February 4, 2022

"We do not remember days, we remember moments."
--Cesare Pavese

Saturday, February 5, 2022

"If you're not still learning and growing as an actor, then you have no backbone and no career."
--Kate Winslet

Sunday, February 6, 2022

"Waking up in truth is so much better than living in a lie."
--Idris Elba

Monday, February 7, 2022

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."
--Conan O'Brien

Tuesday, February 8, 2022

"Every man dies. Not every man really lives."
--William Wallace

Wednesday, February 9, 2022

"Never allow a person to tell you no who doesn't have the power to say yes."
--Eleanor Roosevelt

Thursday, February 10, 2022

"This is not just a job. This is a passion. Connecting people, connecting the world, making a difference. How many jobs can say I made the world better today? We do that every single day."
--Ed Bastian

Friday, February 11, 2022

"Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble."
--John Madden

Saturday, February 12, 2022

"So if you stay ready, you ain't gotta get ready, and that is how I run my life."
--Will Smith

Sunday, February 13, 2022

"Don't even call them fans. I don't like that. They're literally just a part of my life; they're a part of my family. I don't think of them as on a lower level than me. I don't think I'm anything but equal to all of them. So, yeah, they're basically all of my siblings."
--Billie Eilish

Monday, February 14, 2022

"Everyone's like, 'overnight sensation.' It's not overnight. It's years of hard work."
--Margot Robbie

Tuesday, February 15, 2022

"There is no list of rules. There is one rule. The rule is: There are no rules."
--Shonda Rhimes

Wednesday, February 16, 2022

"Tom hit me like, 'Man, I would love for you to come help us out.' [W]ho wouldn't want to play with Tom?"
--Leonard Fournette of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, on Tom Brady inviting him to play with the team

Thursday, February 17, 2022

"You do have a story inside you; it lies articulate and waiting to be written -- behind your silence and your suffering."
--Anne Rice

Friday, February 18, 2022

"I don't like to gamble, but if there's one thing I'm willing to bet on, it's myself."
--Beyonce

Saturday, February 19, 2022

"It's been phenomenal, but everybody keeps congratulating me on my resurgence and my big comeback. I haven't been away, guys. I've been working steadily for the past 63 years."
--Betty White

Sunday, February 20, 2022

"Everyone you meet in life is fighting a battle you know nothing about."
--Unknown original

Monday, February 21, 2022

"Fear of looking stupid is the No. 1 killer of dreams. The worst part? The people who make you feel stupid are usually the ones least qualified to judge someone else's life."
--Anthony Moore

Tuesday, February 22, 2022

"The Eskimos had 52 names for snow because it was important to them: there ought to be as many for love."
--Margaret Atwood

Wednesday, February 23, 2022

"I am human."
--Sha'Carri Richardson

Thursday, February 24, 2022

"I can do it for you this time, but I can't do it for you every time."
--Author Juliet Funt, offering go-to phrases for how to set limits without saying no

Friday, February 25, 2022

"I am not a colorful figure, and I wish to be kept out of the story of the guerrilla movement as much as possible."
--Charles Thomas Chick Parsons Jr., American hero of the Philippines in World War II, whose story recently reemerged

Saturday, February 26, 2022

"I had three young girls at home at the time, and the temperature got down to 6 degrees, with ice and frost on the inside of the house. I've lived that where I didn't have a dollar in my pocket to care for my family."
--Michael Esmond, who arranged to pay the past-due utility bills of 114 neighbors who were risking having the power cut off before Christmas

Sunday, February 27, 2022

"I have already lost touch with a couple of people I used to be."
--Joan Didion

Monday, February 28, 2022

"I mean, I don't find it so difficult, and plus in Florida, it's kind of a retiree state. So I feel like I can play and then just glide into retirement. I think I can, I think it's a yes."
--Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback Tom Brady, on whether he could play until age 50

Tuesday, March 1, 2022

"I ran over and performed the Heimlich on him. ... They were very appreciative. ... My daughter pointed out that if we weren't late for breakfast, I would not have been in the parking lot at that time, and who knows what might have happened."
--Roger Spafford

Wednesday, March 2, 2022

"I really believe that if the political leaders of the world could see their planet from a distance of, let's say, 100,000 miles, their outlook would be fundamentally changed. The all-important border would be invisible, that noisy argument suddenly silenced."
--Michael Collins

Thursday, March 3, 2022

"I strongly recommend that we execute our succession plan and name Tim Cook as CEO of Apple."
--Steve Jobs, shortly before his death in 2011, thus setting the stage for Cook to take over

Friday, March 4, 2022

"If I had known at the outset how hard it was going to be, I might never have started. The world needs you before you stop asking naive questions and while you have the time to understand the true nature of the complex problems we face and take them on."
--Wendy Kopp

Saturday, March 5, 2022

"I just wish there were a bit more of an even playing field on things like learning to walk, and if it could be a little easier for those of us going through the course a second time."
--Tom Acquin

Sunday, March 6, 2022

"We believe the typewriter is obsolete. Let's prove it inside before we try and convince our customers."
--Michael Scott, then CEO of Apple, in a 1980 internal memo

Monday, March 7, 2022

"Oh, I knew it would work. I knew it would work."
--Marge Selbee, on the mathematical plan her husband came up with to game the lottery, which (legally) netted them about $27 million

Tuesday, March 8, 2022

"If you say 'we' when you mean your son or your daughter--as in, 'We're on the travel soccer team,' it's a hint to yourself that you are intertwined in a way that is unhealthy."
--Julie Lythcott-Haims

Wednesday, March 9, 2022

"Before I came to Sesame Street, I didn't feel like what I was doing was very important. Big Bird helped me find my purpose." 
--Carol Spinney, who played Big Bird

Thursday, March 10, 2022

"Instead of looking at the past, I put myself ahead 20 years and try to look at what I need to do now in order to get there then."
--Diana Ross

Friday, March 11, 2022

"Take chances, make mistakes. That's how you grow. Pain nourishes your courage. You have to fail in order to practice being brave."
--Mary Tyler Moore

Saturday, March 12, 2022

"Before long, many people will telecommute from home along the information highway. Will it even make sense to keep an office?"
--New York Times article on open offices, 1994

Sunday, March 13, 2022

"Conditions are never perfect. 'Someday' is a disease that will take your dreams to the grave with you. ... If it's important to you and you want to do it 'eventually,' just do it and course correct along the way."
--Tim Ferriss

Monday, March 14, 2022

"Your days are numbered. Use them to throw open the windows of your soul to the sun. If you do not, the sun will soon set, and you with it."
--Marcus Aurelius

Tuesday, March 15, 2022

"Be the kind of person that you want people to think you are."
--Socrates

Wednesday, March 16, 2022

"At the end of the day, don't forget that you're a person, don't forget you're a mother, don't forget you're a wife, don't forget you're a daughter."
--Indra Nooyi, former CEO PepsiCo

Thursday, March 17, 2022

"Far too many people are looking for the right person, instead of trying to be the right person."
--Gloria Steinem

Friday, March 18, 2022

"Russia is a tough, cold place, so Russians grab at happiness with both hands. There's also a hint of suffering involved, the idea that you will suffer for your pleasure."
--Helen Russell, author of The Atlas of Happiness: The Global Secrets of How to Be Happy

Saturday, March 19, 2022

"The secret of getting ahead is getting started. The secret of getting started is breaking your complex, overwhelming tasks into smaller manageable tasks, and then starting on the first one."
--Mark Twain

Sunday, March 20, 2022

"I say that the most liberating thing about beauty is realizing that you are the beholder."
--Salma Hayek

Monday, March 21, 2022

"Things have been changing very fast. All the money used to be in the town. Covid froze all our enterprise. Instead, we have this trading now, so these farmers are the kings of the island."
--Matias Espinosa, on how businesses crippled by the pandemic turned to bartering

Tuesday, March 22, 2022

"Ambiguity and uncertainty is debilitating right now. So you're better to assume people can handle it, and share bad news early."
--Dr. David Rock, neuroscientist, on leadership during the pandemic

Wednesday, March 23, 2022

"The future belongs to those who prepare for it today."
--Malcolm X

Thursday, March 24, 2022

"Titles are great, but we want to understand what was the project you owned, what was the scope of a project, and what did you accomplish."
--Celeste Joy Diaz, one of Amazon's top recruiting managers, on how to write a résumé that works

Friday, March 25, 2022

"May I never be complete. May I never be content. May I never be perfect."
--Chuck Palahniuk

Saturday, March 26, 2022

"As I got older. I came to appreciate my dad's quiet influence on almost everything I have done in life."
--Bill Gates, on the death of his father, Bill Gates Sr.

Sunday, March 27, 2022

"Just as being an entrepreneur isn't for everyone, neither is sharing a bed with one."
--Laura Shear

Monday, March 28, 2022

"The truth is that I have suffered long bouts of depression since the U.S. Open in 2018 and I have had a really hard time coping with that."
--Naomi Osaka

Tuesday, March 29, 2022

"Tesla cars are like semi-sentient robots on wheels, [so] it kind of makes sense to put that onto a humanoid form."
--Elon Musk

Wednesday, March 30, 2022

"[My biggest influence] was realizing the tradeoff my parents made in immigrating to the United States. While neither of them pursued a career in entrepreneurship per se, the risk/reward profile they took was seared in my brain."
--Sam Yagan, CEO of ShopRunner

Thursday, March 31, 2022

"That so many newspapers would carry Calvin and Hobbes is an honor I'll long be proud of, and I've greatly appreciated your support and indulgence over the past decade. Drawing this comic strip has been a privilege and a pleasure, and I thank you for giving me the opportunity." 
--Bill Watterson

Friday, April 1, 2022

"I don't know. In a sense, I don't really care. At this point, the big problem is, I don't want to waste any more of my time. ... People can say whatever they want about it. It's the most famous study in the history of psychology at this point."
--Philip Zimbardo, professor behind the Stanford Prison Experiment, on what the legacy of his controversial experiment would ultimately be

Saturday, April 2, 2022

"My first thought was, 'Wow, they're still around?' Then I talked to Greg and Evan and saw their passion ... and what the business is and still is, and how it sustained and continued to grow over all these years."
--Paul Hanges, CEO of JibJab, describing when he was recruited to join the company in 2016

Sunday, April 3, 2022

"He does not want to be in the spotlight at all. It's just not who he is. He's like, a quiet, reserved person, and he figured if he ever got out there in that, he'd never get a minute's peace and he's right about that."
--Dolly Parton, discussing her husband of 50-plus years, Carl Thomas Dean

Monday, April 4, 2022

"I hate that word: lucky. It cheapens a lot of hard work."
--Peter Dinklage

Tuesday, April 5, 2022

"If you are sure you understand everything that is going on, you are hopelessly confused."
--Walter F. Mondale

Wednesday, April 6, 2022

"[I]f you are grateful for your life ... then you have to be grateful for all of it. You can't pick and choose what you're grateful for."
--Stephen Colbert

Thursday, April 7, 2022

"I was always a happy kid. I'd play the piano fairly well. I did all sorts of things fairly well. But who the hell wants to be happy all the time? It's a miserable state to be in permanently. Can you imagine how dreary that would be?"
--Christopher Plummer

Friday, April 8, 2022

"Everybody wants to be famous, but nobody wants to do the work. I live by that. You grind hard so you can play hard. At the end of the day, you put all the work in, and eventually it'll pay off. It could be in a year, it could be in 30 years. Eventually, your hard work will pay off."
--Kevin Hart

Saturday, April 9, 2022

"He loved making other people happy, but I think he was also always trying to solve that puzzle for himself. I'm not sure how successful he was at it, to be honest."
--Sary Lacy, on the late Tony Hsieh

Sunday, April 10, 2022

"If you see a bandwagon, it's too late."
--James Goldsmith

Monday, April 11, 2022

"Ninety percent of this stuff is just not that serious, we just get crazy about it."
--Ursula Burns, former CEO of Xerox

Tuesday, April 12, 2022

"The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now."
--Anonymous

Wednesday, April 13, 2022

"There are times in all of our lives when a reliance on gut or intuition just seems more appropriate--when a particular course of action just feels right. And, interestingly, I've discovered it's in facing life's most important decisions that intuition seems the most indispensable."
--Tim Cook

Thursday, April 14, 2022

"The Taliban could take our pens and books, but they couldn't stop our minds from thinking."
--Malala Yousafzai

Friday, April 15, 2022

"I guess the worst day I have had was when I had to stand up in rehab in front of my wife and daughter and say, 'Hi, my name is Sam and I am an addict.'"
--Samuel L. Jackson

Saturday, April 16, 2022

"Maybe you're not perfect, but you're willing to actually look at yourself and take some kind of accountability. That's a change. It might not mean that you can turn everything around, but I think there's something incredibly hopeful about that."
--Brie Larson

Sunday, April 17, 2022

"You can't go around building a better world for people. Only people can build a better world for people. Otherwise, it's just a cage."
--Terry Pratchett

Monday, April 18, 2022

"You're not going to get very far in life on the basis of what you already know. You're going to advance in life by what you're going to learn."
--Charlie Munger

Tuesday, April 19, 2022

"Your kids are overwhelmingly fantastic."
--Genevieve Morgan Coursey, Uber driver near a college campus

Wednesday, April 20, 2022

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs -- even though checkered by failure -- than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
--Theodore Roosevelt

Thursday, April 21, 2022

"Your fear of looking stupid is making you look stupid."
--RuPaul

Friday, April 22, 2022

"Your love makes me strong. Your hate makes me unstoppable."
--Cristiano Ronaldo

Saturday, April 23, 2022

"Luck? I don't know anything about luck. I've never banked on it, and I'm afraid of people who do. Luck to me is something else: hard work -- and realizing what is opportunity and what isn't."
--Lucille Ball

Sunday, April 24, 2022

"Find out what your gift is and nurture it."
--Katy Perry

Monday, April 25, 2022

"It's tough to get out of bed to do roadwork at 5 a.m. when you've been sleeping in silk pajamas."
--Marvin Hagler

Tuesday, April 26, 2022

"It is not very often that an opportunity comes knocking. But when it does, you'd better be bathed and dressed and ready to answer its call."
--Jyoti Arora

Wednesday, April 27, 2022

"I'm a shepherd, not a sheep, and I've always prided myself on being a leader and not a follower."
--Dustin Diamond

Thursday, April 28, 2022

"I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion."
--Alexander the Great

Friday, April 29, 2022

"One of the most important things for any leader is to never let anyone else define who you are. And you define who you are. I never think of myself as being a woman CEO of this company. I think of myself as a steward of a great institution."
--Ginni Rometty, executive chairman of IBM

Saturday, April 30, 2022

"Amid this uncertainty, the bright spot for me has been watching everyone pitch in to help your teammates and communities, and to make things better for the people we serve. We'll need that same level of energy, ingenuity, and teamwork in the weeks and months ahead. Working together, I'm confident that we'll emerge from this challenge in a strong position."
--Sundar Pichai, in a pandemic way-forward email to Google employees

Sunday, May 1, 2022

"Business is built on relationships, relationships are built on trust, and the foundation of trust is honesty."
--Various

Monday, May 2, 2022

"Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it?"
--Caroline Myss

Tuesday, May 3, 2022

"Does my name belong to me? My face? What about my life? My story? Why does my name refer to events I had no hand in?"
--Amanda Knox

Wednesday, May 4, 2022

"Being grateful means feeling and expressing appreciation and thankfulness for just how far we've come, and for what we have."
--Peter Diamandis

Thursday, May 5, 2022

"Those who take the time to pause and assist others with tasks are more likely to be viewed as leaders."
--Cody Reeves, an assistant professor at the Marriott School of Business at BYU

Friday, May 6, 2022

"Please think about your legacy, because you're writing it every day."
--Gary Vaynerchuk

Saturday, May 7, 2022

"Right, wrong, good, bad, heaven, hell. I think that is the theme of my life. I think you have to know both in order to honestly choose one. So I'm familiar with both sides of the fence."
--DMX

Sunday, May 8, 2022

"The lessons aren't about wealth or fame or working harder and harder. The clearest message that we get from this 75-year study is this: Good relationships keep us happier and healthier. Period."
--Dr. Robert Waldinger, a Harvard psychiatrist who ran the Harvard Grant Study for years

Monday, May 9, 2022

"When you have the ability to learn, you have the ability to continue to grow. ... The clients won't give you a better price for your products simply because you have a higher degree, but your knowledge of the business will help maintain the competitiveness of your company."
--Zhou Qunfei, CEO, Lens Technology

Tuesday, May 10, 2022

"There's no quitting, I can't have quit in me. There was never an option to stop and quit."
--Major Lisa Jaster, the third woman to graduate from U.S. Army Ranger School

Wednesday, May 11, 2022

"Build something 100 people love, not something one million people kind of like."
--Brian Chesky, co-founder of Airbnb

Thursday, May 12, 2022

"Every day we choose who we are by how we define ourselves."
--Angelina Jolie

Friday, May 13, 2022

"Happiness never decreases by being shared."
--Buddha

Saturday, May 14, 2022

"I tend to think you're fearless when you recognize why you should be scared of things, but do them anyway."
--Christian Bale

Sunday, May 15, 2022

"Sometimes the bad things that happen in our lives put us directly on the path to the best things that will ever happen to us."
--Jessica McClintock

Monday, May 16, 2022

"The people you work with are people you were just thrown together with. I mean, you don't know them. It wasn't your choice. And yet you spend more time with them than you do your friends or your family ... "
--Martin Freeman

Tuesday, May 17, 2022

"Today is only one day in all the days that will ever be. But what will happen in all the other days that ever come can depend on what you do today."
--Ernest Hemingway

Wednesday, May 18, 2022

"The most significant barrier to female leadership is the actual lack of females in leadership. The best advice I can give to women is to go out and start something, ideally their own businesses. If you can't see a path for leadership within your own company, go blaze a trail of your own."
--Safra Catz, CEO of Oracle

Thursday, May 19, 2022

"Composing music is hard work."
--John Williams

Friday, May 20, 2022

"Love is our true destiny. We do not find the meaning of life by ourselves alone -- we find it with another."
--Thomas Merton

Saturday, May 21, 2022

"Life is not easy for any of us. But what of that? We must have perseverance and, above all, confidence in ourselves. We must believe we are gifted for something and that this thing must be attained."
--Marie Curie

Sunday, May 22, 2022

"What I've learned from running is that the time to push hard is when you're hurting like crazy and you want to give up. Success is often just around the corner."
--James Dyson

Monday, May 23, 2022

"I recently learned that in an average lifetime a person walks about 65,000 miles. That's two and a half times around the world. I wonder where your steps will take you. I wonder how you'll use the rest of the miles you're given."
--Fred Rogers

Tuesday, May 24, 2022

"Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves."
--Confucius

Wednesday, May 25, 2022

"Reality is created by the mind; we can change our reality by changing our mind."
--Plato

Thursday, May 26, 2022

"Life is 10 percent what happens to me and 90 percent of how I react to it."
--Charles Swindoll

Friday, May 27, 2022

"Unless it's written down, it's not real."
--the Jack Ryan character in a Tom Clancy book about a financial terrorism attack quoting his wife while proposing a solution to White House staffers

Saturday, May 28, 2022

"A passion for life is contagious and uplifting. Passion cuts both ways ... I want to create passion in my own life and with those I care for. I want to feel, experience, and live every emotion. I will suffer through the bad for the heights of the good."
--Pat Tillman

Sunday, May 29, 2022

"I had half a second where my heart sank, and then I sort of read the article and realized everyone was enjoying it so much. And now I just can't stop laughing. The best part is trying to see the bright side of any mistake."
--Closed-caption writer who misheard "Canberrans" as "Ken Behrens" during a government address, and created an Australian meme in the process

Monday, May 30, 2022

"The heart has its reasons, which reason knows not."
--Blaise Pascal

Tuesday, May 31, 2022

"People seldom do what they believe in. They do what is convenient, and then repent."
--Bob Dylan

Wednesday, June 1, 2022

"President Reagan suddenly said to me, 'What would you do if the United States were suddenly attacked by someone from outer space? Would you help us?' I said, 'No doubt about it.'"
--Mikhail Gorbachev, describing a conversation with President Reagan in 1985

Thursday, June 2, 2022

"The important thing is not being afraid to take a chance. Remember, the greatest failure is to not try. Once you find something you love to do, be the best at doing it."
--Debbi Fields

Friday, June 3, 2022

"We no longer believe we can grow together as a couple in this next phase of our lives."
--Bill and Melinda Gates

Saturday, June 4, 2022

"Don't live the same year 75 times and call it a life."
--Robin Sharma

Sunday, June 5, 2022

"Someone once said, 'Adversity introduces a man to himself.' For some reason, that's scary, but most people discover that adversity does make them stronger."
--Max Cleland

Monday, June 6, 2022

"Sometimes your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others."
--Various

Tuesday, June 7, 2022

"When I hear somebody sigh, 'Life is hard,' I am always tempted to ask, 'Compared to what?'"
--Sydney J. Harris

Wednesday, June 8, 2022

"When you've reached a certain point in your life, there are people out there waiting to see you fall. But rather than let gravity take you down, sometimes you have to take matters into your own hands and fly."
--Justin Bieber

Thursday, June 9, 2022

"The secret of a happy marriage is finding the right person. You know they're right if you love to be with them all the time."
--Julia Child

Friday, June 10, 2022

"Raising kids is part joy and part guerrilla warfare."
--Ed Asner

Saturday, June 11, 2022

"The best protection any woman can have ... is courage."
--Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Sunday, June 12, 2022

"I want kids to understand that making pictures is similar to making music; there are so many instruments and so many tunes that the possibilities for how you play are truly limitless."
--Jerry Pinkney

Monday, June 13, 2022

"The achievement of one goal should be the starting point of another."
--Alexander Graham Bell

Tuesday, June 14, 2022

"A British cabinet minister [asked me]: 'Why does any American in his senses spend his vacation in the cold damp of an English summer when he could equally well bask under Italian skies? I can only suppose that your advertising is the answer.' Damn right."
--David Ogilvy

Wednesday, June 15, 2022

"I attribute my success to this: I never gave or took any excuse."
--Florence Nightingale

Thursday, June 16, 2022

"If people knew how hard I worked to achieve my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful after all."
--Michelangelo

Friday, June 17, 2022

"People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."
--Maya Angelou

Saturday, June 18, 2022

"I would like to take a moment and make something clear to everyone. I do not expect nor do I want any of you to miss or sacrifice important family obligations for work."
--President Biden, to his staff

Sunday, June 19, 2022

"So often, people are working hard at the wrong thing. Working on the right thing is probably more important than working hard."
--Caterina Fake, co-founder of Flickr

Monday, June 20, 2022

"Happiness does not come from a job. It comes from knowing what you truly value, and behaving in a way that's consistent with those beliefs."
--Mike Rowe

Tuesday, June 21, 2022

"I am 25 years old and I have killed 309 fascist invaders by now. Don't you think, gentlemen, that you have been hiding behind my back for too long?"
--Lyudmila Pavlichenko, Soviet sniper in World War II, during a speech in the United States

Wednesday, June 22, 2022

"Next time you think you are important, try ordering somebody else's dog around."
--Will Rogers

Thursday, June 23, 2022

"We live in the kind of society where, in almost all cases, hard work is rewarded."
--Neil deGrasse Tyson

Friday, June 24, 2022