UNC-Virginia Postgame Quotes - University of North Carolina Athletics - UNC Athletics

Press Conference Transcription vs UVA
Feb. 25, 2023
Chapel Hill, N.C.
North Carolina: 71, UVA: 63
 
Coach Tony Bennett:
Q: "You have a quick turnaround for Clemson and then the ACC tournament coming up quick. What is your biggest concern right now?"
Coach Bennett: "The way Carolina played the first half shooting the ball was tough, it put us in the hole. Nance was hitting some shots…I thought we fought like crazy in the second half, played hard in the first half,  but really fought in the second half and touched on a level of tenacity on the defensive end, keeping them off the glass and keeping them out of transition. Nobody is trying to miss a layup or a free throw. We are playing obviously a good, tough team and a quick turnaround, but we'll get after it and keep trying to find ways. I'm hoping one of these days we're gonna break out of that little shooting slump… I credit our guys for how hard they played and I thought Carolina was in desperation mode and they made some tough plays."
 
On Pete Nance
Coach Bennett: "Yeah, I mean, you know, they struggled to shoot the ball their last game as we did. And you know, his ability to stretch it and then he also could go inside…he's tall, he's legit 6-10, 6-11. And you know, he filled in the way you know, Manek did last year, that's that he was you know, that when they can scratch it out, and then their guards can get going, and Armando, we did a pretty good job, then all of a sudden the floor opens up. That changes their dynamics."
 
 
Coach Hubert Davis:
On Pete Nance
Coach Davis: "
I was very proud of Pete, but I was very proud of him earlier this week with Notre Dame. I said, there's many ways that you can be a positive impact for a team, and against Notre Dame, Pete led our team in assists, he had a double-double, was perfect from the free throw line and had a season high five offensive rebounds. So that was huge for us. Heading into this game, we talked yesterday and we said at the end of the day, we're gonna have to be able to knock down some perimeter jump shots.  It is what it is, without us being able to shoot the ball from beyond the arc, it's just not enough space for Armando to go to work, it's not enough space for guys like RJ and Caleb to be able to attack the basket consistently. He started us off and he was really hot from three and I'm just really happy for him."
 
Q: "Moments ago to Jones, you said that critiquing kids is disgusting in your mind in relation to Pete Nance. What criticism has bothered you specifically?"
Coach Davis: "I can't go into specifics, but they're kids. They're just kids. And maybe they don't play the way that you want them to play all the time but they're kids."
 
On being relaxed and locked in:
Coach Davis:  "I thought they were locked in. They had to be locked in because I was there. I didn't cool down, I was more motivated, more upset after Notre Dame today than I was right after the game. And regardless of what happened there's a level of competitiveness and fight that you have to have to play here. I told them that. The reason why that I'm always been that way is because I just have loved basketball. I just love it. I can't remember a time where I haven't loved it. I love this place. The first time I stepped foot in Carmichael to see my uncle play, I knew this is where this was home. And the best people that I've met have been around in my life, are connected to here in Chapel Hill, and so that's what drives me even still today at 52. And when you play here, that's what has to drive you."
 
On Pete Nance and Lemon Oreos:
Coach Davis: "I don't know. But I'm stopping by Harris Teeter today.  But I'm stopping by Harris Teeter today. That's one of the reasons why I want guys to stop by the office all once a week, I require them in offseason three times a week. But you know with class and everything, one time a week. So this week Pete stopped by the office and we started talking about cookies,  and asked him do like Crumbl Cookies or Insomnia. He said like Crumbl Cookies. I said, well I like Insomnia Cookies, and I told him the best type of cookies that I like and I asked him what is your favorite cookie? He said Lemon Oreo. I said I've never heard of that before. I said I've heard of Oreo cookies. I've never heard of Lemon Oreo cookie. And as he said just go to the grocery store. It's okay, so I'm going to Harris Teeter right after practice. I'm gonna go look for the Lemon Oreo. And I said if I can't find it, I said we don't get in a brawl. And he said fine. And so I went into Harris Teeter, and there they were. So after every at home pregame meal, he goes up to my office and takes a nap on my couch. And so when he went in there, I had the Oreo cookies laying down. And so right after the game and walked into the locker room, I said guys, you have no idea what allowed us to be pretty good today. And he went into the locker and threw the Oeros. He didn't eat it yet, and he threw it right there on the ground and then Coach May said you got to go to Harris Teeter today. So soon as I leave you guys I'm going to Harris Teeter."
 
 
Pete Nance:
On his improved performance from previous games:
"It's been no mystery I've been struggling from the field and from three a little bit. You knew, I knew. I've been working really hard at it, and I've been getting a lot of shots up. I was just waiting for the day I was gonna break through, and I feel like today was that day. Just all the credit to my teammates for having belief in me and continuing to tell me to shoot, so it's just all the credit to them."
 
On lemon Oreos:
"I went into Coach Davis' office, and it's great going in there because we always just talk about life, just talk about family, or whatever it may be. And we were having a debate between Insomnia Cookies and Crumbl. But I told him that my favorite, my favorite that I have in my house all the time are lemon Oreos. He said he had never tried them, so he went to Harris Teeter and got himself a pack. And then, I always take a nap in Coach Davis' office right before the game so he left me a package of lemon Oreos on the couch today. So, I think a lot of credit to the Oreos too, I think they were big time…I didn't eat one, I didn't eat one, it's for after the game. Yeah, I couldn't risk being sluggish." 
 
Q: "Coach Davis was saying that you all looked like you were playing with a weight on your shoulders and everything. Did it feel kind of free out there today for the whole team?"
A: "I think just a lot of credit to each other, I think we just are boosting each other with confidence and sticking together through what we know is a hard time. And, kind of back against the wall situation and there's no choice but to come together or go fast downhill in that situation. ANd I think these last two games we've really brought it together and looking to build some good momentum heading into the last stretch of the season."
 
Q: "What part of your stat line stands out to you the most, the three point shooting, the overall points, or the four blocks?"
A:"Looking at that game I think obviously shots, that's the game we play, shots go in and shots don't sometimes. But I think I'm most happy with the blocks for sure. You know, defense is something that you can do if shots aren't going in or they are going in."
 
 
RJ Davis:
On the team's mindset:
"I think just, as a team, just coming together. Just believing that we can do this. Like, yes, we had a lot of games that we should've won. We didn't play our best, we didn't have our best performances. I think we just, really just locked into each other and believing in each other that we can really do this."
 
On the team heading into Monday's game against Florida State:
"You know, two gutted out wins going down to Florida State. We have a, I think, we're in a better mindset, mind frame. We're believing, we're playing great basketball, we're playing together, we're sharing the basketball, knocking down shots. You know, we're gonna keep this thing rolling.
 
 
Caleb Love
On the difference between today's game and others:
"I feel like I wouldn't say looser, but I feel like we were more focused. More locked in, knowing what's at stake. Coming into this game, every game is a must win, but we definitely have a different edge about ourselves coming into practice these past two days and just focusing on Virginia."
 
Do you feel like that was the best stretch you all have played defensively?
"For sure. Like I said, we were helping the helper. Even on drives, like to Leaky, Kihei (Clark) had a wide open lane and Leaky came over and blocked the shot at the end of the game. That's just who we are. Like I said, once we play team defense like that I feel like nobody can really get a great shot.
 
 
Armando Bacot:
On Pete Nance's performance tonight:
"That was huge, I thought he was amazing today, scored from all over the floor, shot the ball well, he was aggressive. And that's the main thing, when Pete is aggressive and trying to look for a shot and score, he's huge for us and that was huge for us today. Especially with me and Caleb not putting up the best statistically offensive performance. But Pete stepping up, that's what it's all about: being a team, next man up."
 
 
Puff Johnson
On making key shots
"We work on our shot all the time. We are always in the gym working and just trying to become the best players we can be. We knew it was going to show itself sometime."
 
On the amount of blocks
"Great help defense, great team defense. We just kept on playing for each other today and it just showed on both ends."
 
On high volume three point shooting after a poor shooting night last game
"I didn't even realize (how many three pointers were attempted). Coach [Davis] has just been giving us confidence even as a team a rough shooting game against Notre Dame. He has been giving us confidence because we know what we are capable of. We do it in practice every day and we know, he knows, how much work we put in."
 
 
 
Print Friendly Version

Comments

Popular Posts

90 Best Good Night Messages - Good Night Texts - The Pioneer Woman

American Family Insurance Review 2019: Home & Car - Bankrate.com

The 10 best romance novels of 2022 - The Washington Post